A high strength earthquake that caused extensive damage in Christchurch has flashed anxiety among the cricketers currently in India for the World Cup, but there has been no details regarding any loss of life to their immediate family. The earthquake, which had a magnitude of 6.3, struck the city on 22nd February with 65 people confirmed dead so far. At least 100 people were reportedly missing and supposed buried. Search teams assisted by floodlights and earth movers worked through dawn Wednesday, trying to dig through deteriorated concrete, twisted metal and huge mounds of brick. The quake tumbled the spire of the city's historic stone cathedral, trodden tall buildings and sent chunks of concrete and bricks hurtling onto cars, buses and pedestrians below.
Ellery Tappin, the New Zealand's media manager said, "All immediate friends and family are well, but that doesn't detract from the detail that there have been dead". All the members of the Australian women's outfit, who were training at Lincoln University, 22 kms away from Christchurch, when the quake struck, have appeared unharmed.
Brendon McCullum, Hamish Bennett, Coach John Wright and a number of members of the support staff have relatives to the area. Some members of the team had taken to "twitter" to articulate their fear for those back home. Meanwhile allrounder Scott Styris expressed his concern for the members of his squad who have families in Christchurch. Ross Taylor and Jesse Ryder also tweet their anxiety, while Iain O'Brien used the site to direct people to organizations that are offering aid.
ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said he would be discussing with the World Cup coordinators how those exaggerated by the quake could be remembered at New Zealand's match against Australia in Nagpur on Friday. Through the route of the day, several international cricketers voiced concern on Twitter.