Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sangakkara renounces captaincy in ODI and T20

Kumar Sangakkara relinquished captaincy after the defeat in the Final
Kumar Sangakkara has relinquished the captaincy of Sri Lanka's ODI and T20 teams but has proposed to continue as the Test Captain on an interim tenure for the forthcoming series versus England and Australia if this would be useful for the new skipper. He will continue his character in all formats of the game as a player. His decision exposed after he led his side to the World Cup Final. Tillakaratne Dilshan and Angelo Mathews are strong contenders to take charge of 50-over format games and T20 while Thilan Samaraweera is another choice for leading the Test side.
Sangakkara was one of the highest runs-score player in the World Cup 2011 and played a 48-run innings in their defeat to India in the World Cup final. He was dejected after the defeat in the final, he said, "I would like to proclaim that I have concluded that it is in the best long-term interests of the team that I renounce as a skipper so that a new skipper can be accurately trained for the next World Cup in Australia-New Zealand. I have no plans of retirement from International Cricket so far and it would be considered by the selection team who would decide my availability in all three formats of the games for upcoming times subject to my fitness and form".
He said, "It has been a true esteem and a great privilege to serve my homeland as skipper during the past two years and it is bitterly disappointed that we could not make triumph in the final, but I am proud of the performances of my team. I took this decision prior to the World Cup 2011 as I will be 37 years at the next World Cup and I cannot be definite of my place in the team. It is better that a young and promising player would lead the Sri Lanka's team so that his career would be at peak during that tournament".

No comments:

Post a Comment